5 Benefits of a Raw Food Diet for Dogs
This post is written by our holistic veterinarian at "I and love and you", Dr. Angie Krause, DVM, CVA, CCRT.
Feeding your dog is an act of love everyday. We all want to feed our dogs the very best food to keep them healthy and happy. While there is no ‘one size fits all’ diet for dogs, raw food diets are by far my favorite. In my practice, I see amazing health transformations in dogs that are switched to a raw diet.
HERE ARE FIVE BENEFITS OF A RAW FOOD DIET FOR DOGS:
- HEALTHIER GUT BACTERIA. The bacteria in your pup’s stomach and intestines have a huge impact on their overall health. Imbalance in these bacteria can contribute to digestive issues, allergies, inflammation and behavioral problems. A recent study showed that when a group of Boxers were fed a raw diet, the bacteria in their guts were healthier after just two weeks.
- PRETTIER, BETTER SMELLING POOPS. Most of my clients report that their dog’s poop becomes smaller and less smelly. This is likely a benefit of better gut bacteria!
- LESS INFLAMMATION. Less inflammation means less diseases that end in -itis. Arthritis, pancreatitis, gastroenteritis (a.k.a upset stomach), and gingivitis are just a few common inflammatory diseases in dogs.
- ANCESTRAL DIET. It’s crazy to claim that Chihuahua’s are direct descendants of wolves! However, it’s not crazy to feed a more biologically appropriate diet similar to your dog’s wild counterparts (fox, coyote). It’s like Paleo for dogs!
- CONVENIENCE. “I and Love and You” has made feeding raw fast and easy! You can pick up a bag of ‘Stir & Boom’ homemade raw during your next grocery trip to Sprouts Farmers Market, Whole Foods Market or online on Amazon or Chewy. To prepare, simply add water, and wait 15 minutes, which is a great time to throw a ball or take a quick walk.
Remember, to switch your dog to a new diet gradually over 3-5 days.